Skip to main content
Make your own habitat jar
Make a list of all the different animal habitats that you can think of.
You could use this table. We have included an example based on Ladi Kwali's Water Jar.
Which sort of habitats are there close to where you live? Which one is your favourite?
We made some habitat jars based on this example in our video.
You will need
- A clean jar or jars
- Some materials to make animals, or parts of your habitat - card, old plastic, string
- Pens or paint
- Something sticky - glue, sellotape or blue tack.
- Natural materials such as soil, sand or leaves. Remember to ask a grown up if you can use these things!
How to make it:
- Make sure your jar is clean. Take the label off.
- Design the animals of your habitat in card or plastic.
- Cover the bottom of your jar in material that looks like the ground of your habitat. You could use soil, sand, small stones, grass - or you could colour in a circle of card.
- Add in your other natural materials and your animals. You could hang any birds or fish from the lid.
- Add more to the outside of your jar if you want!
Sign up to our emails
Be the first to hear about our news, exhibitions, events and more…