The distinctive gold wall covering in this gallery was chosen by Sydney Cockerell, Director from 1908 to 1937 and is the perfect backdrop for the gold frames containing works from early Renaissance Italy.
The earliest paintings from the Siennese school, by artists Filippo Lippi and others, are painted in tempera and are Christian in their content. In the middle of the room the medium changes to oil and also the subjects include classical stories alongside the biblical, such as Cupid and Psyche by Jacopo del Sellaio.
The last bay of the Gallery is dominated by an altarpiece by Vittore Crivelli.
Be the first to hear about our news, exhibitions, events and more…