1799 - 1866
Götzloff began his studies at the Dresden Academy of Fine Arts under both Caspar David Friedrich and Johan Christian Clausen Dahl. Support from his patron Baron Karl Friedrich Emich von Üxküll-Gyllenband enabled him to settle in Naples, where he shared an apartment with Anton Sminck Pitloo. Named court painter by Ferdinand II, King of the Two Sicilies, in 1835, Götzloff produced celebrated landscapes of southern Italy.
Place of Birth: Dresden
Place of Death: Naples
Text written and researched by Michelle Bird National Gallery of Art, Washington DC.