Noisy-le-Grand 1814 - 1883 Versailles
Rights held by: Fondation Custodia, Collection Frits Lugt, Paris
Fontaine trained under Léon Cogniet at the École des Beaux-Arts, Paris, in 1838, and worked with him on the decoration of the Church of the Madeleine. He was a regular exhibitor at the Salon between 1845 and 1878. Known mainly as a portraitist and history painter, specializing in military subjects, he was also a landscape artist. He was named professor of drawing at the École spéciale militaire de Saint-Cyr in Brittany and decorated with the Legion of Honour in 1870.
Text written and researched by Michelle Bird National Gallery of Art, Washington DC.
Oil on canvas, mounted on wood panel
18.4 × 22.7 cm
This can be found in Gallery 12: The Adeane