Anton Sminck Pitloo
Arnhem 1790 - 1837 Naples
Rights held by: Fondation Custodia, Collection Frits Lugt, Paris
Pitloo began his formal training in the Netherlands before studying in Paris with Jean-Joseph-Xavier Bidauld and Camille Corot’s teacher, Jean-Victor Bertin. In 1808, he won the Prix de Rome in architecture and traveled to Rome in 1811. Four years later, he moved to Naples, where he remained—apart from brief trips to Switzerland and Sicily—for the rest of his life. As professor of landscape at the Academy in Naples, Pitloo became the leading member of the “Posillipo school,” a loose group of artists active on the north coast of the city.
Text written and researched by Amy Marquis Fitzwilliam Museum, University of Cambridge.
Oil on paper, mounted on cardboard
28.1 × 38.2 cm
Created: Circa 1820 - 1830
This can be found in Gallery 12: The Adeane